A simple twist on the italian classic, Lasagna with Tuna is a popular dish from Spain to Italy and across the Mediterranean. Here’s a perfect dish to try with friends or take to any type of party. It’s also a nice change of pace from meat and beef heavy dishes. Give this recipe a shot and enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
2 Cans of high quality tuna in olive oil
1 package of lasagna pasta sheets
Salt and Pepper
1 Italian Green Pepper (a regular green pepper works)
A Jar of green manzanilla olives anchove flavor
A Jar of Pasta Sauce
1 Can of peeled tomatoes (italian brands work best)
Smash and dice garlic, pour olives into a small bowl and drain, thinly slice half zucchini into rounds and set aside, and slice green pepper into thin strips and then dice into small chunks.
Take a baking dish (what you will cook the lasagna in) and drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 190C or 375F.
(1) Heat pan and add olive oil, then garlic. Turn heat down to Medium and after a minute, add green peppers, then after another minute or two, add sliced zucchini. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Let simmer until softened, but still a tad crunchy.
(2) Add olive oil, garlic, diced tomato, splash of red wine, salt and pepper, and half jar of red pasta sauce to medium pot and simmer on medium heat. After 10 minutes stir and begin to taste sauce, add in the small bowl of green olives and one tablespoon of olive liquid. Stir and taste and salt accordingly. Then open and drain canned tuna, add to pasta sauce and mix thoroughly. Let simmer and bubble for 20-30minutes on medium heat.
(3) While pasta sauce is cooking, place large bowl under faucet and fill half the bowl with hot water (very hot tap water – if your faucet does not heat well, boil a pot of water and use). Place several pasta sheets into the bowl with hot water and run water again while adding more pasta sheets. Mix and gently re-arrenge the pasta sheets and let sit for 10 minutes or until softened and playable while still al dente or semi-firm.
(4) Take baking dish for the lasagna and fill with one layer of soft pasta sheets. Add a scoop of sauce and tuna, drizzle with mozzarella cheese, then add another layer of pasta sheets. And repeat. Continue until baking dish is well layered and the pan is filled. On top, add a thin layer of pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese.
(5) Place in oven on middle shelf and let cook for 20-25 minutes, then remove and check with long toothpick or knife by inserting in and checking to see if contents are mostly firm and dry. Edges should begin browning up and cheese will appear well cooked.
Let cool. Then slice a large square from the lasagna and place onto flat plate or large rounded plate. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with green herb.
Comment or Rating:
Give it a shot and comment or rate your dish below!
Like something here? Post below or let us know over on Twitter @TakeYaThere